Offering local mainstream services and developing community capacity so that we have more resilient self-sustaining communities where fewer people need to access health and social care services from statutory agencies.
Rollout of a Community Capacity Toolkit to be available across South Gloucestershire.
This work has been focused on South Gloucestershire’s Precious Time initiative. A strategy has been developed and endorsed by the Health & Wellbeing Board, 5 action groups have been established and toolkits are being developed targeted at staff, the voluntary & community sector and citizens.
Commissioning of two new Care Homes.
The tender procedure which started in January 2013 resulted in a single bidder. The prices quoted by the bidder for the provision of beds to the council were significantly above the average commissioned price that the council currently pays. The council therefore decided to abandon the contract award procedure.
Since the original decision to commission two new care homes, five new care homes have opened in South Gloucestershire, providing a mix of 244 residential, nursing and dementia care beds.
Needs analysis is being carried out to determine the overall demand and whether this is being met by current private provision.
Valuations are currently being sought for the sites, with covenants in place that the buyer must build care homes on the sites, even if the council is not guaranteeing to purchase beds from these homes
Commission further ExtraCare Housing for Older People
- The development of an ExtraCare scheme at Coldharbour Lane was delayed to allow conclusion of land acquisition between the owner and developer. Land acquisition is anticipated in early 2014/15 and estimated completion in February 2017.
- A 60 unit private sector development in Chipping Sodbury is under construction with a completion date of Spring 2015.
- Newton House, Cadbury Heath: mini tender underway with commissioning decision in July 2014. Completion date: December 2016.
- North Yate: ExtraCare proposal submitted as part of planning proposal/agreement Completion date: not yet known.
- Northfield, Patchway – a proposed combined ExtraCare/Care home in community centre waiting on potential planning application. Completion date not yet known.
- Start on site of project for ExtraCare Housing for people with learning difficulties of working age. Start on site due in 2014/15.