How safeguarding work is carried out
The South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) oversees all of the multiagency safeguarding activity within South Gloucestershire. The SAB meets quarterly with representation from a wide range of partner agencies and groups. Since the enactment in 2015 of the Care Act 2014 the Board has been on a statutory footing.
There are a number of subgroups focusing on different areas, including:
- The Quality Assurance subgroup that monitors and reviews the data on safeguarding and looks at a smaller number of cases in depth, auditing for both process and quality
- The Training subgroup that manages training for the SAB and the groups it represents including when and how to raise safeguarding concerns. This training is available for all staff (some agencies prefer to undertake this in-house). This group has re-audited all the contracted agencies about safeguarding training this year. It has also run a joint multi agency safeguarding conference with Bristol City Council, primarily focused on ideas of how to improve services.
- The Communications subgroup works to raise awareness and recognition of adult safeguarding. This subgroup is now a joint sub-group for the safeguarding Adults and Children boards as part of work to ensure that their work is integrated. This has led to the development of the new joint website www.southglos.gov.uk/safeguarding. It has also continued its oversight of the work around Making Safeguarding Personal the aim of which is to ensure that people are kept at the heart of any safeguarding processes. This includes feedback from adults who have experienced the process. The group also ran another Stop Adult Abuse week in June to continue to raise awareness of this work.
- Policy and Procedures subgroup – A Safeguarding Adults policy has been developed across Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire. This is part of ongoing work to ensure consistency across the area. The subgroup has now developed local multi agency procedures to give the detail of how this works in South Gloucestershire.
- Safeguarding Adults Review (SAR) subgroup. This group will be developing local processes for SARs – these replace Serious Care Reviews and will look in depth at situations where an adult in the area dies or has experienced serious abuse or neglect (usually amounting to permanent harm) as a result of abuse or neglect and there is concern that partner agencies could have worked more effectively to protect them.