6. How can personal budgets be used?
The personal budget can be delivered in the following ways:
- a notional budget – no money changes hands. Parents are informed how much money is available and with support identify the different ways to spend that money to meet the outcomes in the EHC plan. The services are then arranged on the family’s behalf
- direct payment directly to the young person or family, to purchase and manage services themselves
- a direct payment arrangement to a third party which can include a broker, provider or nominee on behalf of the child’s parent or the young person, who helps the parents to buy the services chosen
- A combination of the above